Identificatie
referentie code
Titel
Datum(s)
Beschrijvingsniveau
Omvang en medium
Context
archiefbewaarplaats
Directe bron van verwerving of overbrenging
Inhoud en structuur
Bereik en inhoud
Waardering, vernietiging en slectie
Aanvullingen
Ordeningstelsel
Voorwaarden voor toegang en gebruik
Voorwaarden voor raadpleging
Voorwaarden voor reproductie
Taal van het materiaal
Engels
Schrift van het materiaal
Latijn
Taal en schrift aantekeningen
Fysieke eigenschappen en technische eisen
Toegangen
Verwante materialen
Bestaan en verblifplaats van originelen
Bestaan en verblijfplaats van kopieën
Related units of description
Aantekeningen
Aantekening
Draft
Aantekening
Open
Aantekening
'The expansion of the Company property southwards began in 1811 with the purchases of the freehold of no. 32 and of the leasehold of no. 38 Ludgate Hill in the hope of improving the approach to the Hall. In 1824 the Merchant Tailors' Company, the landlord of no. 38, granted a 26-year lease at a rent of £140, on condition that the Stationers spent £500 on repairs. An attempt to buy the property in 1850 was unsuccessful, and even before the building of the new entrance in 1886 the interest in this approach had died; no. 32 was resold in 1881. But interest in the houses to the east of Cock Alley steadily increased. No. 22 Ludgate Hill was bought, rebuilt and let to Simpkins [tenants of the English Stock] in 1900; no. 20 was purchased in 1930, nos. 24 to 28 (mostly destroyed by enemy action) in 1951 and no. 18, at the corner of Ave Maria Lane, in 1953.' (Blagden, The Stationers Company, p. 228)