Zone d'identification
Cote
Titre
Date(s)
Niveau de description
Étendue matérielle et support
Zone du contexte
Source immédiate d'acquisition ou de transfert
Zone du contenu et de la structure
Portée et contenu
Évaluation, élimination et calendrier de conservation
Accroissements
Mode de classement
Zone des conditions d'accès et d'utilisation
Conditions d'accès
Conditions de reproduction
Langue des documents
anglais
Écriture des documents
latin
Notes de langue et graphie
Caractéristiques matérielle et contraintes techniques
Instruments de recherche
Zone des sources complémentaires
Existence et lieu de conservation des originaux
Existence et lieu de conservation des copies
Unités de description associées
Zone des notes
Note
Draft
Note
Open
Note
'The expansion of the Company property southwards began in 1811 with the purchases of the freehold of no. 32 and of the leasehold of no. 38 Ludgate Hill in the hope of improving the approach to the Hall. In 1824 the Merchant Tailors' Company, the landlord of no. 38, granted a 26-year lease at a rent of £140, on condition that the Stationers spent £500 on repairs. An attempt to buy the property in 1850 was unsuccessful, and even before the building of the new entrance in 1886 the interest in this approach had died; no. 32 was resold in 1881. But interest in the houses to the east of Cock Alley steadily increased. No. 22 Ludgate Hill was bought, rebuilt and let to Simpkins [tenants of the English Stock] in 1900; no. 20 was purchased in 1930, nos. 24 to 28 (mostly destroyed by enemy action) in 1951 and no. 18, at the corner of Ave Maria Lane, in 1953.' (Blagden, The Stationers Company, p. 228)