Identity area
Reference code
Title
Date(s)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Context area
Repository
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
Accruals
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
English
Script of material
Latin
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Finding aids
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Notes area
Note
Draft
Note
Open
Note
'The expansion of the Company property southwards began in 1811 with the purchases of the freehold of no. 32 and of the leasehold of no. 38 Ludgate Hill in the hope of improving the approach to the Hall. In 1824 the Merchant Tailors' Company, the landlord of no. 38, granted a 26-year lease at a rent of £140, on condition that the Stationers spent £500 on repairs. An attempt to buy the property in 1850 was unsuccessful, and even before the building of the new entrance in 1886 the interest in this approach had died; no. 32 was resold in 1881. But interest in the houses to the east of Cock Alley steadily increased. No. 22 Ludgate Hill was bought, rebuilt and let to Simpkins [tenants of the English Stock] in 1900; no. 20 was purchased in 1930, nos. 24 to 28 (mostly destroyed by enemy action) in 1951 and no. 18, at the corner of Ave Maria Lane, in 1953.' (Blagden, The Stationers Company, p. 228)