SubSubSeries Feathers Court - Feathers Court records

Identity area

Reference code

GB 2156 TSC/G/04/Feathers Court

Title

Feathers Court records

Date(s)

Level of description

SubSubSeries

Extent and medium

Context area

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

  • Latin

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Note

Draft

Note

Open

Note

In 1554 the Stationers' Company moved its headquarters from Milk Street, in the parish of St. Mary Magdalen, to Peter's College, on the south-west side of St. Paul's Churchyard, at the centre of the city's book trade. Peter's College had belonged to St. Paul's and stood immediately to the east of the Deanery. Successive alterations were made to the premises to accommodate the growing requirements of the Company, but it soon became apparent that the building was too small. In 1606 the old Hall was leased to Edward Kynnaston, a vintner, and from then on the property was known as the Feathers Tavern. The property continued to provide an income to the Company until its sale to Alderman Sir William Turner in the early 1670s. (Source: Blagden, The Stationers' Company, pp. 206-208)

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Language(s)

    Script(s)

      Sources

      Accession area