Zone d'identification
Cote
Titre
Date(s)
- 1559-1951 (Création/Production)
Niveau de description
Étendue matérielle et support
7 subseries
Zone du contexte
Source immédiate d'acquisition ou de transfert
Zone du contenu et de la structure
Portée et contenu
Records relating to the establishment, constitution, privileges and internal regulation of the Stationers' Company.
Évaluation, élimination et calendrier de conservation
Accroissements
Mode de classement
Constitutional records have been arranged into 7 subseries:
TSC/A/01: Royal charters and related documents
TSC/A/02: Ordinances and related documents
TSC/A/03: Records relating to heraldic grants
TSC/A/04: Royal licences and related documents
TSC/A/05: Memorandum book: Liber A
TSC/A/06: Membership oaths
TSC/A/07: Other constitutional records
Zone des conditions d'accès et d'utilisation
Conditions d'accès
Conditions de reproduction
Langue des documents
anglais
Écriture des documents
latin
Notes de langue et graphie
Caractéristiques matérielle et contraintes techniques
Instruments de recherche
Zone des sources complémentaires
Existence et lieu de conservation des originaux
Existence et lieu de conservation des copies
Microfilm copies are on reel 71, 'Records of the Stationers' Company 1554-1920: 115 Reels of Microfilm with Printed Guide', published by Chadwyck-Healy Ltd (1989)
Unités de description associées
Note de publication
G Pollard, 'The Early Constitution of the Stationers' Company', The Library, 4: xviii (1937), pp. 235-260.
Zone des notes
Note
Catalogued
Note
Open
Note
In 1403 the Mayor and Aldermen of the City of London approved the formation of a fraternity or Guild of Stationers. This Guild was incorporated as the Stationers' Company by Royal Charter in 1557, and was granted the right to have a livery in 1561. Since then it has had full status as a Livery Company of the City of London, numbered 47 in precedence. The original Royal Charter was lost during the Civil War and was replaced by a new Charter in 1684. In 1937 a letters patent changed the Company's name to the Stationers' and Newspaper Makers' Company. This followed an influx of members of the Company of Newspaper Makers (incorporated 1933) into the Stationers' Company and their relinquishment of their own Royal Charter in 1935.
The Royal Charter of 1557 gave the Company powers to make ordinances for its governance, and accordingly ordinances were approved by the Lord Treasurer and Chief Justices in 1562. These ordinances were added to occasionally, but were lost during the Civil War. New ordinances were issued in 1678, with a supplement approved in 1681 and an additional ordinance in 1683. Further ordinances were issued in 1694. The Company's ordinances, or by-laws, have been revised periodically in modern times.
The Stationers' Company was granted its coat of arms in 1557, but this is thought to have been destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666. The Company's crest and supporters had been adopted and used without authority from at least the 18th century, but were not regularised until formally granted to the Stationers' and Newspaper Makers' Company in 1951. The history and use of the motto, 'Verbum Domini manet in aeternum', are unknown, but the motto is included in the heraldic achievement depicted in the grant of crest and supporters, 1951.